Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
This position is responsible primarily for the handling day-to-day production related legal matters as well as for some negotiation of business affairs deals as assigned by Shine America, a leading television and digital entertainment production company located in Hollywood, California.
Reporting to the SVP of Business & Legal Affairs, the chosen candidate’s responsibilities will include oversight of legal work on in-production television and digital programming and the drafting of a wide variety of entertainment-related agreements, including agreements related to the development and production of unscripted/reality and scripted television and digital media programming and agreements related to the ancillary exploitation of intellectual property (including licensing, merchandising, and product integration).
The environment is demanding and fast-paced and you will have the opportunity to prove yourself and excel in this position. You will be considered an integral and valuable member of the Shine America team and have the goal of increasing efficiency within the business & legal affairs department and interacting with and building relationships with other departments, production teams, and those outside the company including television network representatives, agents and attorneys. Qualified candidates must possess enthusiasm, a sense of humor, flexibility, creativity and the willingness to take on challenges and increased responsibility.
- Draft and occasionally negotiate agreements in connection with the development and production of unscripted/reality and scripted television and digital media programming and the ancillary exploitation of intellectual property (including licensing, merchandising and product integration)
- Serve as the lead day-to-day production attorney on unscripted/reality and scripted television and digital media programming as assigned throughout pre-production, principal photography, and post production (including reviewing programming for clearance purposes)
- Handle copyright, trademark, employment, litigation, music, and other legal matters (which will include coordinating with outside counsel)
- Handle other business and legal affairs matters as assigned
Experience and Qualifications Required
- JD required, preferably from top-tier law school
- Must be an active member of the CA Bar or an active Registered In-House Counsel pursuant to CA Bar rules.
- Minimum three years of entertainment-related legal affairs experience as an attorney at a network, studio, or television production company and/or a major law firm, specifically including experience with U.S. unscripted/reality television productions. Experience with U.S. scripted television productions is highly desired.
- Experience working on business and legal affairs matters for digital media productions as well as ancillary exploitation businesses (e.g. licensing, merchandising, product integration, etc.) is preferred.
- Working knowledge of guild and union (e.g. WGA, AFTRA, SAG, DGA, IATSE, etc.) regulations and issues, related legal trends and business practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and references.
- Superior legal drafting and analytical skills, and high level of attention to detail.
- Established relationships within the entertainment industry business affairs and legal communities are a plus; must have an ability to build effective working relationships within and outside the company.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time, with exceptional organizational skills and a facility with handling a constant stream of high-priority projects.
- Ability to independently exercise sound judgment, make sound decisions, and perform under minimal supervision on a daily basis.
- Strong initiative to take on tasks and set own priorities and deadlines and put forth the maximum effort.
- Ability to excel under pressure in a demanding, fast-paced, results-oriented work environment.
- Impeccable business ethics and honesty.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected].